Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Hobbies

My 35th birthday has just reached out and punched me squarely in the face. (Yesterday to be exact.) It was a wakeup call that I have immersed myself so entirely in work for the last five years that the landscape has changed significantly from when I buried myself to that passion.

My step daughter is now 18 and on her way to her dream of becoming a psychologist while my wife slaves for the County of Los Angeles. I had a hazy realization a couple years ago that I didn't have a hobby anymore having sacrificially turned it into my career. This is a point that came to perfect clarity yesterday. I need to find out why it doesn't hold it's siren song for me anymore. Could it be that I've immersed myself in the subject for far too long and it's time to move on to a new subject?

I hope this isn't what a mid-life crisis is, but I do know one thing. I need a new hobby! Leave a comment about your hobby and a good resource for a beginner to get started.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kung Fu. I'm actually surprised you're not a black belt Kung Fu master by now, you were really into the ninja stuff when we were in High School. I've learned a very small amount of Kung Fu since the good old days, and wish I had more time to learn more, but it's a great thing to immerse yourself in. I'd go with Wing Chun Kung Fu if I were you, it's great for those of us of small stature or strength. On a side note, sorry I haven't been in touch. Ever since I quit that game I've been really busy with Chinese. I'm still holding on to my 4.0 by the skin of my teeth and my final exam is in late August. It's a pass fail exam and my prevous performance isn't factored into the results for graduation, so it's a little stressful. I'll try to keep more in touch though via our friend the world wide web. Xia Ci Jian.